martes, 24 de abril de 2012

Sant Jordi


April 23rd was the festival of Sant Jordi.  Sant Jordi is Saint George who is the patron saint of Catalonia. “As to the legend, Saint George killed a dragon which was about to eat the princess south of Barcelona. Out of dragon's blood a rose bush grow. Saint George gave roses of that bush to the princess.” The festival has been celebrated since the Middle Ages, but in 1932, the festival was combined with International Book day, which is celebrated because it is the anniversary of the death of both Miguel de Cervantes and William Shakespeare. Today, the men give roses to the women and women give books to the men.  I observed this holiday from two different aspects. My observation started over the weekend, which I saw many people on the metros holding roses. Then on monday, I walked out of my apartment with no expectation of seeing any stands set up, but there were about 6 on my short walk to the metro. After class I decided to go to la Rambla and see how the festival was being celebrated. On the walk over I saw couple after couple meeting and exchanging gifts and kissing in the street. Once I reached la Rambla I realized how huge the festival was. There were stands lining the streets. One of the interesting things I saw was that there were stands selling roses made out of felt instead of real roses and some of these stands had longer lines than the others. As well, there were Catalan flags displayed everywhere I looked. I enjoyed observing the festival and I think it was a good last cultural experience to have in Barcelona. Sant Jordi day is very unique so it was interesting to observe. 
 



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario